Friday, 20 February 2015

Mango Tahini Smoothie

| | 0 comments

I was once told that the right way to eat a mango is by biting in its sweet flesh and letting its juices run down your chin. And I will make sure to do so next time I have buried my toes in hot sunny sand brushing away hair that smells of the sea. As this day is yet to come, I decided to muster a sunshine smoothie and enjoy the ending winter from my window.


There are many special things about this smoothie. It’s a healthy alternative to a sweet snack. It tastes of travel with its sweet and comforting yet unusual flavours. It took me down memory lane.

Tahini wasn’t a common ingredient while I was growing up but the moment I tasted it here a forgotten memory emerged in the back of my mind. It took me back on the yard in front of my grandparents’ house where I was greeting the end of the endless summer days. It reminded me of my country childhood and the times my grandma took me to the nearby shop (the only one on our side of the village) to buy me something sweet. The shop was perched over a river and for a while I was scared of going there. It had a bare grey floor and smelled of almost stale cookies and wood. There were always medenki and chocolate wafers sold without wrappers, so the storekeeper would pass them in brown paper. And most likely there was also a dessert containing the wonderful sesame paste. Memory works in funny ways.

Give this smoothie a go. It might take your soul to unexpected places. 


What you’ll need

  1. 1 mango
  2. 1 Tbsp tahini
  3. 1 Tbsp lime juice
  4. Juice of 1 small lemon
  5. 1/2 cup water
  6. Mint leaves
  7. Ice

Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary.
Enjoy while listening to this.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance