Thursday, 5 February 2015

Coconut Quinoa Pudding with Pomegranate and Blood Orange

| | 0 comments

This morning I woke up to Love and Olive Oil’s soothing white and red photos of tapioca with blood orange. And it so happens that I had some quinoa I normally can’t be bothered to cook, an elderly pomegranate, and a bunch of ripe blood oranges. A plan was born.

Blood oranges are such a rarity in Edinburgh I felt obliged to buy them when I spotted some in Lidl weeks ago. And I’ve been very careful to eat them sparingly so they last longer, that they’ve begun to age. So a healthy dessert/breakfast staring these super fruits was in order.

The original recipe called for sugar but since I try to avoid it I sweetened the coconut milk with dates. And then remembered I don’t like sweetened grains. So, if you take your porridge without sugar or honey then maybe you’d want to skip the dates. But as a matter of fact, the sweetened coconut milk was unbelievably delicious on its own so I’d recommend it as it is.


 What you’ll need for 2-3 portions
  1. 80 grams quinoa
  2. 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
  3. 10 dates (for a very sweet pudding)
  4. Blood oranges
  5. Pomegranate seeds

  1. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly to get rid of its bitterness.
  2. Blend the coconut milk with as many dates as you like. It might separate but give it a bit of time and add a little water if the liquid is too thick.
  3. Cook the quinoa with the sweetened milk following the package instructions. I brought mine to boil and simmered for 20 mins and left covered off the heat for another 10. You can have it straight away or let it cool.
  4. Add red specks of pomegranate and blood orange happiness to the mix. 
Hurrah for the super puddings. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance